Skip navigation
Home > Local Heritage > Special Places > Community Heritage Sites > Sperling


Sperling


Settlers first arrived to this northwesterly farming area of the RM in about 1880, R.H. Waddell being one of the founders. A post office was established about 1 mi. north but the town moved and was named Sperling when the CNR arrived in 1901. Once having several businesses, banks, stores and a school, Sperling is now a small community.


Bausman Farm

road leading to two storey white house and red barnIn 1907 Edward Bausman came to Sperling from South Dakota and bought NW ¼ 29-5-2 W five miles south of Sperling. Here with his wife a large family was raised.

In 1908 brother Thomas Bausman came to Sperling from Indiana, bought one section of land and built a house, but with his wife later returned to Indiana. (Furrows In The Valley, p. 790).

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Curdt Brothers Farm

large two storey house under repairsThis large farmhouse, now occupied by brothers Glenn and Jim Curdt, has been the home to three generations of Curdt families.

Built for Jacob Curdt, who came from Durham, Ontario, to Manitoba in 1892, the once fine house stands within a treed yard that originally enclosed other outbuildings including a classic hipped roof barn with hay loft.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Hooper House

two storey house with additions on either sideThe house was built for John Henry Hooper in 1900 and enlarged upon with the easternmost two-storey addition (with porch) in 1910.

It was the family home to three generations of Hooper families who for many years farmed and operated in pedigreed seed.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

MacLean House

two storey white house with open porchThis farmhouse, located southeast of Sperling, was built around 1918 by/for the James Hector MacLean family and was lived in by three generations of family descendents. It is thought to be built to T. Eaton house plans.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

McKee House and Farm

two storey white house with open porchThis Sperling area farmhouse and yard has been the home to four generations of McKee families. Built in 1905, it was moved onto a basement within the yard in 1912, with the north section added at the same time.

In 1938 the vault-roofed barn was built on site by Monarch Lumber Co. with Mr. Derksen from Roland as carpenter.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Mennonite Brethren Cemetery

row of concrete slabs over gravesThis small rural cemetery and stone monument, sometimes called Little Moscow, was erected to remember the people who settled in the area, the first families who came from the USSR in about 1926–27.

 

 

Road 30 North Drain

wood bridge across the ditchDrains were constructed in the municipality as a means to reclaiming areas of swampland into productive farmland.

This drainage ditch in the western locale of the RM drains into the Little Morris River.

 


Sperling Community Cemetery

cemetery sign with headstones behindThis tree-protected and cared-for, two-acre cemetery located 1½ miles northwest of Sperling, was organized by local residents in 1905, with the first burials in 1906.

 



 

Former Sperling United Church

three storey church with square tower on on sideReplacing a 1903 Methodist Church, the 1943 Sperling United Church was built after Protestant church union in the 1920s. Erected with volunteer labor and lumber from the former church, the church served outlying pastoral charges until it closed in 1993.

Sold as a private residence with art studio, it remains a major presence on Main St.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 


Tremont School District No. 1127 Cairn

concrete base with black stone markerTremont School, a rural school district south of Sperling, was formed in 1902 with the first wooden school built in 1901.

In 1915, the school was moved from LSD 8-6-2W to NW 5-6-2W with a new school built in 1937 for about $3000. The school closed in 1964 and the building was sold.