Skip navigation
Home > Local Heritage > Special Places > Community Heritage Sites > Sewell


Sewell


Sewell Country Store

two storey red building among treesThis now derelict store built in 1942, replaced an earlier store built on the same site in 1920 by C.A. Recksiedler and Son.

Located at a railroad siding, the store and post office, originally named for General De Wet, was a local gathering place and focus of the community. When closed, it remained the home of the last postmaster and storekeeper.

 

De Wet School (August Recksiedler House)

converted school behind treesThis building, located at a crossing just north of Sewell, was originally De Wet SD 2182 School and operated until 1967.

It was later bought by August and Erna Recksiedler who renovated the then-closed school. (See Furrows In The Valley history book, p. 487)

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.



Sewell Cemetery

cment pillars and metal gateThis gated and neat country cemetery stands within a grassed and tree-protected site, just north of Sewell.

Situated on the highest spot in the area, and off a gravel road near few farms and fields, it is a quiet presence within the small community.



Broadview School District #957 Site

low red rock with plaqueThis marked field site is the former Broadview SD #957. The 1899 school was a standard one-room school that also was the religious and social centre in the area for many years.

The school was enlarged in 1928 and after the 1950 flood replaced with a new framed building with washroom facilities. The school operated until 1965.

 

Herman Farm

old red barnThe Herman family moved to this farmyard in 1926, living on the farm for 53 years. The deserted farm buildings remain in a treed yard west of Sewell.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

William Recksiedler Barn

barn in distance among treesThis barn and yard, located just north of Sewell, stands at the crossroads of four Recksiedler properties, and is the original farmyard of August Recksiedler (b. 1883 Poland). It is now owned by a son, William Recksiedler.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Clubb House (Clover Lodge)

small beige house on landscaped lotThis cottage house, former home of W.R. Clubb, Member of Manitoba Legislature 1920–40, and wife Gertrude (Kastner), sits within the yard first established by pioneer George Clubb in 1878.

A now derelict, but once fine house built in 1896 for George Clubb also remains on the property. The two houses, situated within a grassed and treed yard, stand next to a large, vault-roofed barn.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Albert Recksiedler Farm

white house with large spruce tree on one sideThe farm was purchased by Albert Recksiedler in 1936, the gambrel-roofed barn built in 1938, and the house in 1939. Albert Recksiedler lived on the farm until his death in 1979.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.


C.A. Recksiedler Farmhouse

derelict two storey houseThis now derelict farmhouse located just north and west of Sewell, was built by C.A. Recksiedler in 1916 and occupied by the family until 1963 when it was sold to Helen and Henry Peters.

The once fine house with six bedrooms is now owned by members of the Recksiedler family who remain in the area.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.