Skip navigation
Home > Local Heritage > Special Places > Community Heritage Sites > Rosenort


Rosenort

view of town looking down highwayFirst Mennonite settlers to the Rosenhoff and Rosenort areas lived fairly close together in villages according to European custom.

In 1932 the Rosenort Farmers Assoc. established a co-operative just north of the former village, in what became Rosenort. In the following years several businesses and a Credit Union were established. (Furrows in the Valley: 1880-1980, p. 350)


Rosenort River Trails

picnic shelter with green roof and play structuresThese river trails, created and improved upon as part of Canada’s Economic Action Plan, build along once existing trails on the Morris R. and auxiliary flood diversion channels.

They tie together residential and shopping areas, schools, an arena and park, providing all-season pathways.

 

Little Morris River Municipal Bridge

small wooden bridgeMunicipal bridges are a necessity to cross the Morris River, and replaced over time, built to facilitate efficient movement of vehicles and goods in the area.

 


 

Peter Goossen House

two storey white house with open porch and balcony aboveThis house, originally the home of Peter Goossen family, and later, son George Goossen, was a farmyard residence on the edge of Rosenort until the 1990s.

Now resituated to the front of the site, and within a new housing complex, it is operated as a café and Tea Room.



Lone Star S.D. No. 1929 Site

small sign in treed fieldNow a field, this site was once Lone Star School District No 1929.

The one-room school operated from 1914 until 1955 when the school district was dissolved and children taken to consolidated schools.



Rosenort Heritage Cemetery

headstones with large spruce trees behindThis small, unmarked cemetery, located on River Road south of Rosenort, is the only remaining element of what first had a church with schoolyard opposite.

The heritage cemetery, with community walkway in front, is now a quiet reminder of the community’s past and what was once a busy corner in the Rosenort area.



Windmill Site

vintage wooden windmillOn River Road south is the location of a wind-powered flour mill that operated in the Rosenort area for about 42 years.

First built in 1877–78 and operated in Steinbach (where little wind was found), it was dismantled and moved to the Rosenort area in 1879. The structure, which stood 60 feet high, was built with the help of nearly all trained in Russia.

open field where windmill used to be

 

Rosenhoff Cemetery

headstones with trees behindThis unmarked cemetery, used approximately 1907–30, is also the site of Rosenhoff’s first school and church (est. 1887).

Located just east of the former village of Rosenhoff, it remains a quiet rural cemetery off a gravel road.

 

Rosenhoff South School SD. No. 61

field with spruce trees behindThis now fenced and grassed site is the former school grounds of Rosenhoff South SD No. 61.

Located a short distance south of the once village of Rosenhoff, the wooden one-room school operated until 1965 when it was closed, the building moved and adjoined to Rosenhoff North School. The unmarked site now has few foundation remains.

 

Rosenhoff Pioneer Cemetery

stone cairn with plaque in fieldThis cemetery, used approximately 1874–1907, is the first burial site of Mennonite settlers to the Rosenhoff area, and is the site of 22 unmarked graves.

Denoted with a limestone monument and plaque, the cemetery is located at what is now a main crossroads in the small community of Riverside.

 

Rosenort EMC (Evangelical Mennonite Church) and Cemetery

cemetery sing with headstones off to rightThis church and cemetery site located just south of Rosenort, was established for Evangelical Mennonites (Kleinegemeinde), with the first church built in 1920 and the cemetery established in 1934.

In 1949 a larger church was built, and destroyed by fire in 1973, was again replaced in 1974 with the present edifice now located on the opposite (north) side of the road.

 

McTavish Area

road with buildings in the distanceNamed for four McTavish Brothers (Robert, Ed, John and James) who arrived here from Ontario in 1880s, McTavish is a small roadside stop once having a small general store and post office operated by the Peter Wiens family.

 

 

Warkentin House

two storey beige house with spruce trees in distanceThis farmyard, located on River Rd north of Rosenort, was built by Henry D. Warkentin, one of the first settlers who came to the area from Russia about 1874. It was the second house for the family, replacing a small house first moved onto the farm.

It later became the home of the Jacob D. Rempel, and son, Alvin (and Diana) Rempel (204-746-8878). (Furrows in the Valley, p. 396)

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Jac W. Brandt House

road leading to green house and red barnThis picturesque house and farmsite located on the bank of the Morris River, just north of the Henry W. Brandt farm, is the former farmyard of son, Jac W. Brandt. It is now lived in by his son, Harry (and Audrey) Brandt.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

H.W. Brandt Farmhouse and Barn

two storey white house among treesbright red barn This house and barn, located on the bank of the Morris River just north of Rosenort, was the farmyard of Henry W. Brandt family who came from the Ukraine to Manitoba in about 1874.

All of the buildings were erected by Brandt who also had a small lumberyard on the farm. The property was later the home of Sid Reimer.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

 



Lone Star Farm (Brown House and Farm)

two storey brick house with white trimThis substantial house was built for Harry and Fannie Brown who moved with their family from Rockford Illinois to the Sperling area in 1907.

The yard includes a 1939 vault-roofed barn, and century-plus, gable-roofed barn, dismantled and moved from Illinois to the farm at the time. It is home to four generations of the Brown family.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

E.K. Kroeker Barn

round roof wood barnVault-roofed barn with hayloft.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

 

 

Abraham E. Eidse Farmsite

ditch and field with buildings in the distanceThis yard, established in 1900 is the farmsite of Abraham E. (and Helena) Eidse, one of the early setters who came with his father and family from Prussia to Manitoba in 1874. In 1912, it became the farm of son, Abram K. and Anna (Bartel) Eidse, and later in 1952, the home of Frank P. and Margaret (Eidse) Kroeker.

The barn burned in 1963 and the house moved in the yard and remodeled.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

David K. Eidse House

The house was built by Mr. and Mrs. David K. Eidse following their wedding in November 1914. Lumber and gravel for the house was hauled with horse and sleigh (Furrows In the Valley: 1880–1980, p. 459).

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Loewen House

two storey white house with dark roofThis framed house, situated on a river lot between the Morris River and the village road now called Riverside Drive, remains one of the few houses of the former village of Rosenhoff.

It was built by the present owner’s grandfather, Abram D. Loewen, and in 1918 used as a morgue during a period of the Spanish influenza (Furrows in the Valley, p. 443).

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Stevenson Barn

wood barn with rounded roofThis vault-roofed barn is in the former farmyard of Roy and Barbara Stevenson who farmed on the site until retirement in 1967.

Roy was a son of Matthew James (Jim) Stevenson who established Stevenson Evergreen Nursery in the Morris area.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Stevenson's Evergreen Nursery

rows of treesair photo showing rows of treesThis nursery, established by Matthew James Stevenson in 1926, was operated by three generations of Stevenson families whose stock specialized in evergreens.

The farmstead house of son, Bronson Stevenson, is now located in Morris.

Below right is an air photo of the nursery in 1965.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

 

 

Siemens Farm House

two storey white house, screened porch and dark roofThis farmhouse east of Riverside was built by Mrs. Siemens after her husband, Peter H, died in 1916. Mrs. Siemens, known as a successful business and farm woman, raised 10 children here, one child, Mary, who married Cornelius T. Friesen and raised a family of 11 here. (Furrows in the Valley, p. 447).

The farmyard includes a barn from an early period.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Fehr House

two storey house among treesThe house was built by David Kroeker in Rosenort and later moved to its present site just outside of Riverside.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Goossen Farm

house and buildings from a distanceThis farmyard of small framed buildings is located in a Mennonite farming community just east of Rosenort. Originally the farm of Dave Goossen, and later Leroy Goossen, it is now the home of Warren Goossen.

The 1925 house was moved from across the road onto its foundation dating 1941, and the barn moved from Rosenort.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Riverside Centennial Park

park sign among treesThis site, now a Centennial Park located at a crossroads in the small community of Riverside, is the former site of Rosenhoff North School built about 1926.

In 1945–46, the school was replaced with a two-room school, added onto in 1965 with the one-room, Rosenhoff South School which had been closed. With Consolidation in about 1968, the then three-room (North) school was also closed.