Skip navigation
Home > Local Heritage > Special Places > Community Heritage Sites > Lowe Farm


Lowe Farm

The community was founded in the 1880s, when John Lowe managed a campaign to attract immigrants, particularly farmers and farm labourers for Manitoba.

Wiebe House

two storey beige house with enclosed front porchThis house, built in 1920 for John Schroeder, was the first house in Lowe Farm to have electricity before hydro in 1947. With its number of rooms it was sometimes let out.

In about 1944 it became the home of the George J. Wiebe family until 1990. In 1997 it was raised onto a new concrete basement.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Charles E. Anderson House

two storey white house with open porchThis residence originally was built and used as a one-storey schoolhouse from 1899 to 1913.

Purchased for a residence by Charles E. Anderson, it was moved further back on its lot in 1914, set on a foundation and a second floor added.

Known as The Grand Old Lady of Lowe Farm, the house has been residence to a number of families.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Lowe Farm Community Park

granite monument, flagpole and antique farm equipment at entrance to parkLowe Farm Community Park was developed and maintained with the help of Lowe Farm Shannon Festival, an annual celebration held since 1973. The park occupies about 8 acres of parkland, on the east side of the community.

 

 

Lowe Farm Cemetery

metal sign and headstonesThis tidy cemetery, one of few maintained by the RM, was once maintained under a women’s institute, and in 1941 a general organization called The Lowe Farm Burial Aid Society. It stands on the outskirts of Lowe Farm community.

 

 

Jacob Thiessen Farmyard

white barn and shedsThis farmyard in the Lowe Farm area was the former farm of Jacob H. Thiessen, and later his son, Danny (and Helen) Thiessen.

All outbuildings in the farmyard were built by Jacob H. Thiessen, when they moved to the farm in 1952. Lumber and timber for the buildings came from an elevator located between Lowe Farm and Morris.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

A.A. Thiessen House

two storey concrete block house with enclosed porchThis substantial farmhouse was built for the A.A. Thiessen family who came from Russia in 1875.

Four carloads of concrete block for the house is thought to have been shipped from Steinbach and then hauled from Lowe Farm with horse-drawn wagon. Cost of the house was $6000.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.