Skip navigation
Home > Local Heritage > Special Places > Community Heritage Sites > Aubigny and Union Point


Aubigny and Union Point

Aubigny is mostly a French-speaking community that consists of several homes and a Roman Catholic Church.

When the steamboats came down the Red, the landing at Union Point was a place where settlers arrived, disembarked and traveled to their homesteads. It is believed that Union Point derived its name from the fact that it was a central post office in Manitoba, and from there the mail continued on its routes—east, west, north and south.

St. Antoine Parish and Cemetery

church and cemeteryFounded in 1903 and named for French nobleman, Count Antoine d’Aubigny, Aubigny’s first church was a wooden structure, replaced with the present brick structure in 1932.

Rebuilt after a tornado in 1978, the church is on a site that comprises a cemetery, and former rectory built in 1903 and serving as a convent 1932-67.


Aubigny Ferry Crossing Site

bridge across the riverThis ferry crossing near Aubigny, and on land owned by the Chartier family, initially provided the only means of crossing the river, and was used from about 1881 until 1965 when it was replaced by the nearby Aubigny bridge.

First known as Mousseau’s ferry (for its operator’s name), it provided a crossing for people on the east and west sides of the Red River and was the site of many events.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Cottage Country

road with cottages on one sideThis short row of summer and year-round homes, come to be known as Cottage Country, has grown along PR 246 between Morris and Aubigny, and is located near the east bank of the Red River.

This sites are private property. Please respect the owners' privacy.

 

Union Point United Church

wooden church and cemeteryA municipally designated site, Union Point Church is a small country church with cemetery. The church was built in 1887, destroyed by fire in 1939 and rebuilt in 1940.

It is the last built feature that remains of Union Point. The first burial on the site is noted being in 1879.

 

Bowles House

house with windowed porch and large cedar at the cornerThis dwelling, formerly owned by Hon. Richard Spink Bowles, Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba (1965–70), replaced an original farmhouse, and was moved by Bowles in1960–62 from Winnipeg where it was originally situated on Kingston Row.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Silver Plains

road crossing railway lineThis small siding known as Silver Plains, once had a station with Pool Elevator, a school (built 1905), the Pelland Store (built 1919), United Church built 1895–1900, and a community club. Only a railway crossing now denotes the once small area.

The National Gallery of Canada has a 1930 watercolour of Silver Plains by Walter J. Phillips.



Robert House

two storey log houseThis log house, one of the oldest surviving buildings in the community, was built by Sevoine Robert who came with his family from Quebec to Manitoba in 1880 (Furrows In The Valley, p. 194).

Much unchanged and located on its original River Lot between Hwy 75 and the Red River north of Silver Plains, it remains with Robert family descendants.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Chartier House

unpainted log house with collapsing roofThis log building remains the oldest family house in the RM. It was built by Flavien Chartier, one of first settlers who came from Quebec to Manitoba in 1877. Wood for the house was thought to have come from land further east and was brought down the river with them.

The river lot is still owned by the Chartier family and has been the farm to five generations of family descendants. (Furrows In the Valley, p. 190)

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.

 

Snarr Farm

quonset style building with wood front white barn with blue trimThis machine shed is located on the original River Lot established by Henry Snarr in 1874, and that has been the home property to four generations of Snarr families. The shed was built for Charles R. Snarr, and in 1980 moved from nearer the Red River.

The 1949 barn on the farmyard, originally a stable for nearby Carleton School, was moved from the SD about 1960s.

This site is private property. Please respect the owner's privacy.